Monday 17 February 2014

Cross Country 2014

Last Saturday 15th February was a replacement school day. So, the school decided to have its cross country day. Being in the middle of the padi fields, it was thus logical to have the cross country around the paddy fields. Of course, all the teachers would have their tasks given out and guess what my task was for the first time in as many years as I was in this school? The head of check-points. What was this???? Couldn't they give it to a male teacher who could go around on a motorbike as the paths between the paddy fields was only fit for one car. An incoming car would have to take careful manipulation so that it would not fall into either the canal on one side and the paddy fields on the other!!! The chosen one again ????? Oh pleeaassseeee .... give me a break !!!!

Oh well, what was the point of arguing? As if there were no younger teachers or male ones for that matter. Sometimes the logic or justification defied me. Thus, I took a deep breath and muttered my favourite word of the moment - "whatever" !!!   I would just make the best of the situation.

Thus, on that day, after I had given the instructions and gathered those under me for the 3 check points, I walked with the students from the first to the third check point - making sure the students were alright and urging them on when they stopped or got distracted along the way. The paths were dry and dusty due to the hot weather. The paddy fields were bare and dry as they had been harvested, the wind was dusty and it was scorching hot. A good day I would say as I did my 3.5 km walk and had fun chatting with some students while enjoying the view. Once I reached check point 3 and after the last student had gone through it, I took a lift from one of the teachers back to school. :-0))  Another cross country event done. I am just waiting for the year when I finally leave all this strenuous activities  ..... let the young ones take over.

The sun in all its scorching, blazing glory - 8:09am
Part of the path of the cross country track - the canal on the left and paddy fields on the right
Miles and miles of paddy fields as far as the eyes can see - some paddy fields are still ripening while others have been harvested
The view of the front gate from across the road
Enthusiasm or just showing off ???  :-D))
Off they go - the boys were let off first followed by the girls
Trailing after the girls slowly to check on the check points. The lone "kekabu" tree and the new housing project
Slowing down to a leisurely stroll - it was a very hot, sweaty walk
Check point 2 - one student down with the St. John members on duty
Having fun in the middle of the padi field
All of us, whether if you are students in a public school or boarding school, will have gone through this event. Most of us did not win any positions to get the main prize - a hamper of goodies - but just to score marks for the sport houses. I walked and trudged after these youngsters. Of course, I was among the last to reach check point 3 but at least I had a healthy day ..... :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment