Thursday 23 February 2012

Extraordinary ordinary...

For 22 years I see this view every school day. Watching the padi fields from ploughing, planting, growing, harvesting and burning the dried fields. Then, the same cycle is repeated all over again for the next planting season. I take this new route since the last 2 years due to the traffic congestion along my usual main road journey home. They are upgrading roadworks and building the new electric railway line. It's further by 7km but it's worth it rather than being stuck in a jam after school which can be so depressing. The road along kampung Tok Kling is just enough for 2 cars. The stretch of road is lined with padi fields as far as the eyes can see.
The breaking of dawn - the time I reach school to start a new school day...

Padi fields as far as the eye can see... photos courtesy of Akmal
 My school is situated smack in the middle of padi fields. It is surrounded by acres and acres of padi fields and bordered by Jerai mountain. It is a lovely view and spectacular especially when the padi is growing where the lush, dark and refreshing green soothes the tired souls of the overworked teachers. The students can be quite trying at times that all I need to do on the journey home is to switch on the lite. fm channel and take in the view of the flying herons and storks looking for food in the padi fields. Mind you it's not like one or two birds but flocks of them. You can see specks of white against a green background during growing season and among the golden, ripened padi during harvesting season. Captivating. Early morning when I reached the school, especially after heavy rain the night before, it will be like driving through the twilight zone. The school can hardly be seen. You drive straight on through the mist and suddenly, hey presto! there's the school. :=D

 Another view that always bring a smile to my face is the kekabu tree. This week I see the splendour of almost all the kekabu blooming and opening itself for all to take and fully utilise it. Yet, it's still there on the tree in its white, fluffy, cloudy glory. A single lone tree by the roadside along my way home.

Alhamdulillah. Thank you, Allah swt for the simple things in life. For teaching me to be thankful and grateful for just being alive and still able to see this view. Until the roadworks are completed, I shall bask in this simple therapy of de-stressing after a day with my misfits and trying students. ^-^

No comments:

Post a Comment