Saturday 7 April 2012

Al-Fatihah

Last night I received an sms about 10:30pm informing me that Rokiah Mustaffa, a staff, had passed away. I wrote about her in one of my posts. She had amputated her left leg due to diabetes. So, I contacted a friend and we agreed to go together to pay our last respects.

When we reached there, most of the other staff had come and gone. There were still a few more and Cikgu Norpah was there. It was a nice surprise. She was my ex-Principal, now retired, in this school. She was such a comforting presence that whenever I met her, she would hug me close and I could feel the sincerity in her caringness towards me. She gave you a sense of comfort and protective feeling. We just caught up with each other for a while before I made way to pay my respects to Rokiah.

I was still okay then. Yet, when I hugged Athirah, her 20 year old daughter, I could not help but cry for her and with her. I hugged her close and held her tight, hoping to take away a little of her grief and sadness. I always emphatised with young people losing their parents because I had gone through it. She was  my ex-student in Form Three. She was also the only child. I wish I could offer more than condolences yet, I think, the presence of most of her ex-teachers helped her to get through today. InsyaAllah.

I took my leave and as I drove home, I recited the Al-Fathihah for aruah Rokiah. I cried all the way home. Life is so short. Whatever comes your way, take it, enjoy it, make the best of it and treat it like it's going to be the last "nikmat" Allah will give. Let's not live life with regrets, what ifs, what could have been....Allah has planned our lives such that when something is meant to happen, it happens. So, take it and accept it with open arms and heart. Vice versa for something that you want to happen but will not happen because it is not meant to.

For Athirah, you need the strength to face life on your own with only your Father. May you be blessed with the love, support and encouragement of your family i.e. relatives, friends and most of all, Allah swt. Al-fatihah for Rokiah. Amin.

No comments:

Post a Comment