Monday 4 June 2012

Ikram off to Kolej Matrikulasi Kedah

20th May - 24th May 2012  :-   The last week of school was a lot of running around to get Ikram's things ready for registration. I was called up for a meeting in Penang for two days. I had exam papers to be marked. To top it off, I had the collect the data on all the Panitia Heads. That's 25 of them! I got the e-mail on Monday morning and they want it pronto on Tuesday. I had to run around the school looking for them at their rooms or staff room or canteen. That plus my classes for invigilation, the relief class they still gave me and all my free periods!!! By 1:00pm I still had another 10 to go so I  sat at the office and started calling up each one of them. Finally by 2:00pm, I still had another one to go. She was off for a meeting. I left a message on her phone. I had to get all their data and years of experience by that day because I was leaving for Penang the next day. Finally, Ponnamal called and confirmed her data. By the time I reached home, it was almost 3:00pm. After a short rest and Zohor prayers, I started filling in the form that the PPD had e-mailed. I managed to send it out by 5:00pm. I was so exhausted. I still needed to buy a few more things for Ikram. It was difficult shopping with this young man!!! After a couple of hours, he was tired and bored and wanted to eat or go home. His attitude was there's always tomorrow. Why must buy this, why must buy that ....AARRGGHHH!!! I took a deep breath and told myself .. .. .. patience..patience...  :-{

When I was in Penang, Ikram finally passed his driving test and got his "P" license. Of course he was eager to start driving!!!! We only had a few days more to go so, that Friday I took him for our last tea session together and treated him at Secret Recipe. My best friend was leaving and I would go home to an empty house again. Nobody to listen to my ramblings about my students or staff!! The nicest compliment from him - "You are not like any other mother or my friends' mothers. You are just different. I like it though. Different, open and just not stereotypical. I would say you and your family are weird but a nice kind of weird. I like what your friend (the one we met at the shopping complex - Chin) a laissez-faire mother." Coming from him, I'll take it as a compliment.  :-D

He refused to pack his things yet. Saturday night I had to sit with him with the check list and started packing his bags with him. One thing about the boys and I - we can talk about anything, criticize each other, give our opinions openly but deep down I know that there are certain things we will not share. It is enough that I am still important enough to be made a part of their lives. Finally, we got everything ready for tomorrow morning. He was not a morning person so I had to anticipate his grouchiness and moodiness. Well, his father was there to provide his financial needs. For that, I am grateful.

Sunday, 27th May 2012. We left after a light breakfast of curry puff and bread at 7:30am. It was supposed to be a 45 minute drive from Alor Setar to Changlun. The jam started from Changlun town itself! That's another 2.5km to the college. We did not anticipate the jam. So, praying that Noor will be patient, we talked about my college life, we sang songs from the CD and generally tried to enjoy the jam. Registration was supposed to start at 8:30am and we finally got into the college at almost 9:00am. Ikram queued with the others for registration. I started wandering around doing what I enjoyed most - people watching. :-)  Noor went off on his own looking up for his friends or somebody that he was bound to know. I met Omayah who was also registering Aiman. So, we waited until almost 11:00am. We checked out his room and his room mates. I could only pray that he would meet friends that would always remind him of his prayers and obligations. Ikram was not like his two brothers. He is what he is. He is also the closest to me and most of the time, I'd rather talk to him. He is also wise beyond his years.

When he started his briefing, Noor and I left. I could only recite a prayer that everything would be smooth and easy for him. For Allah to give him patience and leave him in the care and guidance of Allah. I think I had done my best for the boys and I am grateful that all three managed to continue their studies and most important, they still wanted to study and learn. I now leave Akmal, in Sabah; Syafiq in KL and now, for a year, Ikram in Changlun to the protection, compassion and acceptance of Allah. Aamiin.


No comments:

Post a Comment