Sunday 21 April 2013

Pre - Elections ... 2013

20th April 2013. Nomination day for the chosen and "picked" candidates of each party which is competing in the 13th general elections for Malaysia. Well, actually it did not affect my life here much as I was not into politics or their respective parties.

I was brought up in a political environment. With an uncle who used to be a candidate and a father who helped in the campaigning .... Now my cousin, this one and only uncle's son, is actively involved in politics. No, he was not nominated this time around. I supposed because he was more laid back and  involved in running his many businesses. It was not really significant in my life then as by the time I was more aware of politics, my father's health started to decline and thus, we were not involved directly in any elections. Pak Cik was also not nominated in his later involvement years and with the death of Mak Cik, he concentrated on his business ventures and new family. Only Naim was getting more seriously involved.

Among my circle of friends of non-Malays, we adhered to an understanding of not discussing politics, religion and economy. They could be quite vocal on their dissatisfaction and what to them was inequality of the distribution of opportunities as it benefited the bumiputras and Malays. Now, it is a different story. They kept forwarding anything that was against the government. Even though they no longer live here and have become permanent residents of other countries, yet, they feel they have every say and right in this country. Hmmm ... I still keep my opinions to myself. I read whatever was sent to me via e-mail, of course. I did not raise to their provocation or dissatisfaction. I am really not politically inclined.

I had never been involved in the voting process. When I turned 21, the legal age to register as a voter, I was more interested in pulling myself together and helping my mother coped and accepted my father's death. Then, I was in Kelantan from 1984 to 1988. It was advisable not to be involved as politics could be quite volatile between the oppositions. Thus, I kept my counsel until I got married and moved to Kedah. By then I was already 30 years old. Noor insisted that I registered. I had changed my address so, I registered to keep him off from pestering me. The first time, which was 2 elections ago, I finally went to do my duty. No, we never discuss politics either to keep the peace in the family. Thus, this coming elections will be my third time voting.  ;=))  Anyway, I am seriously thinking of opting out this time around as I honestly have no conclusive opinion or whatever that can somehow, guide me to pick the most reasonable candidate for my constituency. The more I read the more confusing I become. What is truth is what they believe it to be. So, what is the truth?

I hated reading whenever both parties just spewed out what they thought was wrong or shameful or dishonourable or the dirt they had gathered on the other party. Why couldn't they become more gentleman or as in sports, with much sportsmanship and panache? Be honest, sincere and integrity. Just talk about oneself. There is no need to lay out the dirt of others. Open a closetful of skeletons which should just be left buried. Why can't they work together? Why must politics change people? Friends become foes. Siblings become sworn enemies. The good become the bad and ugly. I have seen personally how being in politics can transform people close to me.

My hopes and wishes are for a peaceful campaign. A clean campaign. I have yet to hear of a candidate who goes all out to campaign about himself without tarnishing the reputation of others. Well, we'll wait and see how this fortnight of campaigning and the 13th general elections go. To everybody, filter what you hear. May the best candidate be chosen based on merit, honesty, integrity and sincerity. Do they still exist?????  :-}}

The colourful flags which was seen along the Changlun-ALor Setar highway.

Oppositions and pro-Government flags flying side bys ide. Isn't that nice?????  ;-)

Decorative flags along the roadside to add to the scenery ... let the "war" begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment