Sunday 8 October 2017

The Inter-city Train Ride ...

After the ETS ride, I wanted to try the inter-city train ride. I had taken the inter-city train from Shah Alam to KL Sentral and vice versa. I had tried the old inter-city train from KL Sentral to Seremban when the boys were studying at SDAR. Since the ETS started, KTM had revamped and improvised the inter-city train.

Thus, last week, I took the train to Arau. It cost only Rm3.90 per trip and it took less than thirty minutes. If we had to drive to Arau, it would take us about forty to fifty minutes via Kodiang thus by passing Kangar. Since my partner was busy with his work in Arau, it gave me an excuse for the train ride. It was quite comfortable if it was not during peak hour. Otherwise it would be sardine packed with passengers. The coach was clean and quite comfortable.


It was an open ticket which meant that you had the option to travel at your own time. The train runs in an hourly interval with first train at 6:08am from Alor Setar. Very convenient and hassle free. If one does not need transport in town, then it is very convenient. It was only a fifteen minute walk to the town. You should give it a try ... just buy a ticket and hop on any inter-city train ... just enjoy the view and the countryside. One day, I will try the train from Kota Kinabalu to Papar ... just for the view and experience of travelling the "old school" way.

The stops along the way - Butterworth to Padang Besar

The inter-city train ...
 I remembered taking first train ride back in the eighties. We had completed our three years college studies and going off our separate ways. My room mate and I decided to take the train home even though there was no railway station in Malacca. My room mate was travelling home to Seremban. The guys from college helped us boarded the train. It was a third class ticket thus the rush for seats was chaotic as everybody started to scramble their way into the train. The guys just threw our bags through the windows and others took them for us. They simply pushed us into the train as it stopped only for a few minutes.  We had no seats and sat on the aisle and were such a carefree, happy and a fun ride. When the train stopped at Tampin, which was the nearest stop to Malacca, I disembarked and waved at them until the train was lost in view. I kept in touch with some of them and others were never heard or seen again. Wherever they are now, I pray and wish them well in their lives. I suppose most of them would have retired like I am.



The train ride now and then was a huge contrast and KTM had upgraded the comfort and speed of the train. More people are now using public transport as mode of transport. It is cheaper and faster. Keep up the good work KTM! Go ahead, reviewers ... take a train ride to enjoy the slow phase of life ... a good way to de-stress ... :-))


No comments:

Post a Comment