Monday 23 September 2013

A Life Well Lived ...

This is taken from an article in the Sunday Star newspaper dated 22 September 2013 by Soo Ewe Jin :-

"....... At the end of the day, or at the end of life as it were, it all still boils down to one thing - our relationship with people. 

A much forwarded e-mail reminds us that when we stand before God, he will not ask us what make of car we drive, but if that car had been used to pick up someone in need. He will not ask about our titles, achievements or financial net worth, but how many lives we have touched."

In the course of my teaching career, how many lives have I touched and made a difference in their lives? I had taught at a religious school where students were from diverse background.  Have I touched any of their lives and made a difference? Most of them believed in their reason for studying - for the upholding of their faith, religion and belief. I had never once heard that the reason they came here to study from their country was to make it rich, make a name for themselves, for the betterment of their families .... they came in the name of jihad. Simple, single-minded students who knew what they were looking for and fighting for in their lives. I hoped somehow I had made a difference.

Then, I was in a premier, very privileged school where we the simple teachers rubbed shoulders with ministers' wives, titled parents and high profile professionals. Students who were so privileged that they thought their teachers were so underprivileged .... Students where you had to have the upper hand to earn and gain their respect. They challenged you intellectually, socially, politically and always reminding you the status quo. Somehow, I hoped I had made a difference in their lives not by teaching but by showing that in humility there was respect. In simplicity there was style. In all imperfections there were perfections. In diversity there was unity. In being different, there was acceptance. The more you learn humility in life and respect of others especially those beneath you, the more you are valued, thought of and respected. So much to gain for so little effort. I hoped somehow I had made a difference.

Now, I am posted to a school where we had under privileged students. Students where dysfunctional families are the norm. Almost half of the enrolment come from broken homes. Students who screamed and yelled for attention. Where their behaviour is rough and crude. Rudeness is part of their survival. Being polite is unheard of. Respect is a joke. Where you have two glaring divides - where students who are good are really good and the other half are the misfits that we try to shape and mould into the best that they can be. Here, I think is where I have touched so many lives by using this principle - "I don't care what others do in their class ... but in my class, you follow my rules. I respect you as my students and you will respect me as your teacher. You will not do what I tell you to do but what I do. If I go out of line, then tell me. Reprimand me. As that is what I will do unto you."  And this simple rule of accepting their way of lives can be changed through patience, tenacity, strength and not giving up. I know I have made a lot of difference especially when they come back for a visit or we bump into each other or they look up me up solely to see me. I knew I had made a difference.

All of us have touched so many lives in the course of our working lives, studying lives and being neighbours or friends or strangers. It's a life well spent and well lived. Thus, when one stands before God, one can put up his/her head up high, smile and say - "I have made a difference."




No comments:

Post a Comment