Thursday 31 October 2013

It is so ironic ... ;-((

While we were having a gala time at Syafiq's convocation, who would have thought that Akmal would be lying in a hospital bed - unconscious??? He did not want to spoil the mood of the happy occasion that he waited until the next day and was discharged to call and inform me of his mishap. I was wondering why he did not reply to my sms. Talk about irony.

Akmal had an accident. His motorbike's tyre burst and he lost control of his bike. As he had a pillion rider with him, he tried to hang on to his bike so that both would not be flung out from the bike. What he did not realise was that his friend had already jumped out from the bike. He tried to control his bike and when he awakened, he was already at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Kota Kinabalu.

When he called me, he tried to downplay his injury. He said he was returning to his hostel after buying lunch when he heard a loud bang. He realised that the bike's rear tyre had burst. He was more concerned for his friend's safety. They told him he was unconscious and they took him to UMS clinic. The clinic sent him to the hospital by an ambulance. He thought it was so comical as he would be the one in the ambulance. He recovered consciousness after a while and was discharged 6 hours later. When I asked him if they did an x-ray or MRI on him, he did not know. So, I had to pressure him and emotionally blackmail him to do it the next day. Thus, to appease his concerned mother, he went and had a thorough body x-ray for internal injuries. The doctor checked his head without doing any scanning. Since he did not vomit and neither did he had any headaches or nauseousness after more than 24 hours, the doctor declared that his head was still round in shape and the skull intact. Hmmm...he was lucky I was not there to ask him questions !!!!! Anyway, one consolation was that Akmal was to return for a follow-up check up in 2 weeks. If the doctor declared him fit, then he could go for his expedition to one of the islands in south Sabah.

I do not like the sound of that. Akmal, being Akmal, cannot sit still and will be so restless that he will do anything. And being so obliging and helpful, he will not be able to just sit and look at others doing their work. That is what I am worried of. I asked him not to do any diving until the body healed. It takes time for the injured soft tissue and the impact of the fall to get better. I cannot do anything except pray.

I am thankful and grateful that Akmal is always in Allah's protection. There is so much to be thankful for - the accident occurred in campus, thus no flowing traffic. There is a witness - the pillion rider - who go and get help from the boat boys and the aquarium. There is no major injuries and no broken bones or torn tendons and ligaments. He is unconscious for a short period of time. Allah is still kind. Maybe He is trying to tell Akmal to slow down and take things easy for a while after years of hectic activities and good health.

All I can tell him is to rest - which is not possible for someone hyper like him - and let time does  its work. Do not abuse the body as it is a gift from Allah. Time heals all wounds. Just be patient and let the body heal. I am not there for him but he sent some photos of the accident taken by one of his good samaritans aka friends. I did not like what I saw but I trusted that he was honest when he told me he was okay. I will only see him in 3 weeks time for his convo. In the meantime, I hope he has the common sense and I leave him to Allah. Only He knows best. InsyaAllah.

What happened to his bike ....

No comments:

Post a Comment