Monday 27 June 2016

The Swing ... with love ...

It's the last week of Ramadhan 1437H. I had been so busy with whatever that I did not realise how fast time flew. I thought that since I was no longer attached to specific working hours, I would be more free. I realised that I was not free but busy with other things which I had the pleasure of doing it in my own sweet time. Thus, time flew by without me doing anything specific.

The first week of fasting was busy with the house for sale and the windows. Since I had left over paint from there, I used it to touch up the swing outside my house. The swing shared a lot of memories with the boys when they were young -  happy, carefree, nostalgic, melancholic, sad and dreamy days .... The boys and I used to spend a lot of our time on this swing. Singing, feeding them, talking, telling stories or just sat quietly and enjoyed the up and down sway of the swing ... It used to be at the porch but since we did our extension, I put it outside between my house and my neighbour's so their children could also share the swing. The boys were all grown up and went off to boarding school, thus the neighbour's young girls spent a lot of time on it. I was so pleased that others shared the simple joy of the swing too. Creating memories of their own.

As it was left outside, it had become rusty over the years with the rain and sun. Thus, I painted the rusty swing with anti-rust. Then, it started to rain for days that the swing project was on hold. Once the birds started singing their melodious tunes, I knew the rain had stopped. I started to paint it with its white colour with total, loving care. I enjoyed painting it as it soothed the soul and gave me a peace of mind. It was time for me to be alone with my thoughts and be nostalgic. Each stroke was given with much care and regard that others would also enjoy it. I could not stand the smell of paint or chemical smell thus, after all my effort, I was down with migraine for a few days. It was bad enough to take me to the doctor for medication when Panadol Activfast did not work after two days.

The swing coated with anti-rust ... even the neighbour's cats like the swing
Finally given a double coating of white paint to restore to its former self .. 
I discovered painting is actually good for the mind, body and soul. No wonder there is art therapy - just colouring patterns and designs. My sister and niece are doing it. I just do not have the time yet. Between fasting and all the prayers, good deeds that come with it, I have not read my books and my writings have been put on hold. I wrote these few articles because it was in my head and needed to let out.

Thus, I hope many more children and others will continue to sit on the swing. Singing, dreaming, observing the many species of birds as they are fed daily by my neighbour and I. The cats which think they are the permanent resident of my house. The wild monkeys which dropped by to scavenge for food and the occasional snakes or monitor lizards, small and large. It is a happy place to build memories ...

No comments:

Post a Comment