Sunday 31 August 2014

Di Sini Lahirnya Sebuah Cinta - Merdeka ke 57

It's another Merdeka day today. 57th year to be exact. So, how did you spend yours? Despite the MH17 and MH370 incidents, we still celebrated our National Day albeit in a more sombre mood. Well,  I love being a Malaysian. What I had witnessed today solidified the feeling of solidarity, unity and love for this diversified, multi-cultural, multi-religion and at present, the cracks of segregation of races. So, how did I spend today?

I went to watch the Merdeka parade in town after a lapse of soooo MANY years i.e since the boys left for boarding school. :-D)) I walked through the throngs of crowd of adults, children, teenagers, youths of all races. I walked slowly and just enjoying myself walking alone among them as if I was a tourist in town. I observed the patience of those taking part in the parade (I assumed they must had gathered since 7:00am). What gained my utmost respect was the pride and respect the simple people had for their state and country. You see, the crowd was just sitting along the sidewalks and whatever places available along the royal stage. When the emcee announced the arrival of the Tunku Temenggong of Kedah and the TUDM band started to play the state anthem, some of the people in the crowd started to stand up. To my pride and amazement, ALL the people in the crowd stood up to attention until the band completed playing the "Negara Ku". Then, slowly, they sat down and made themselves comfortable to watch the parade. It gave one a satisfied feeling of pride and belonging.

I took photographs and I especially enjoyed the school bands. The participants in the parade walked out in pride and discipline. I could not take all the photos especially by the KMSC (Kedah Motor Sports Club) which paraded their cars, all types of bikes ... ), the vintage bicycles of even the postmen of yesteryears where the crowd called out "Posto! Posto!" .... ;-D)) due to the glaring sun. It was a scorching hot day after a few days of heavy downpour. I was facing the sun thus, whatever photos I took would be in a shadow.When a man in P. Ramlee's costume cycled down the parade, some of the crowd were singing out one his old songs .... I love the this year's theme - Di sini lahirnya sebuah cinta - part of the lyrics from Sudirman's (my favourite singer) song " Warisan".

It was a fun, enjoyable, exciting and full of pride day. I had not watched and enjoyed a fulfilling Merdeka day for so long. Alhamdulillah ... for a peaceful, calm and lovely country. HAPPY MERDEKA DAY MALAYSIA !!! May all of us, the people of Malaysia, learn to appreciate and love our own country. Learn to preserve its uniqueness and openness to embrace all its people as ONE Malaysian regardless of race, religion, beliefs or faiths.

One of the girls' school bands
Looking resplendent in their attire and putting their best feet forward
Marching with a message - "Save Gaza"
I have always loved the army - so disciplined ....
The TUDM band ..
The Boys' school band

No comments:

Post a Comment