Saturday 5 March 2016

Sanctuary

We used to take the boys to the zoo here when they were young. I guess you could say that we practically remember most of the animals' cages or dens. This was also where Akmal had a close encounter with the elephant and we had photo sessions with Wira, the resident orang utan. I have always loved the gardens surrounding the zoo. It was like a sanctuary - the over hanging large, ancient trees with their long drooping branches are like their arms welcoming and enfolding you into them with a tight, loving and protective embrace. I always asked to spend the night here - within the surroundings of Taiping Lakes Garden. Thus, we were used to a government house there in the midst of the gardens.


Casuarina Inn Taiping. As a government servant, I was given a discount. A few years later it was taken over by a private sector but the special discount for government servants was retained. Then, the boys grew up and went off to study. Thus, we never stopped by Taiping anymore. There was no reason to. Last week, on my way down to Melaka to send off Ikram to his campus, I decided to make a pit stop here. I was just mentally and emotionally tired plus both were sleepy to continue driving. I decided to look out for Rosni, my junior housemate during college days. I managed to get her school address from Pit. When we met up, it was not satisfying as she was still having classes. So, I decided that we would spend the night here and had dinner with her later. She literally jumped for joy and could not wait to see me and caught up later. Alhamdulillah as I still could make somebody happy with my presence.

So now we had to look up for a place to stay the night. I told Ikram to head for the lakes and tried to locate the old rest house. We managed to locate it but it was now a run down and totally abandoned building still secluded in this part of the lakes. It was so sad .... I dared not ventured into the area as it was in the middle of thickening foliage that gave it an eerie, mysterious environment. Ikram's foreboding warnings of unseen creatures did not help me gather my courage to step out of the car. Hence, this was taken from the driveway.

The sign board was also dilapidated. It was situated slightly on the upper level of the Lake Gardens
I had always loved this humongous roman pillars leading towards the inn. Now it was full of clinging vines
The almost demolished and abandoned reception hall
The next day before we went off, we dropped by the War Cemetery. It's a tranquil, peaceful and calming place. I do not know why I always find cemeteries as places which gave me a sense of peace and calmness especially my parents' graveyard.

Very neat, tranquil and peaceful. May the dead rest in peace.


Taiping Lake Gardens - a place where I found solace and refuge from whatever turmoil that was brewing in my mind and heart. A place of sanctuary, security and embalming ... except the rest house is no longer accommodating. One day ..... ;-))



No comments:

Post a Comment