Saturday 12 March 2016

What Can One Say ..... ;-((

How does one express condolences over the phone? Especially if it was so sudden and one really had not much ime to arrange the words or thoughts about what to say? If it was to someone who was really close and a sibling? What can one say to alleviate the grief, shock and sadness of the partner's sudden demise? I honestly could not say the right words when I called my eldest sister after I received the news of my brother in-law's death.

Well, to say it was a shock would not be so accurate. Although he had undergone dialysis for his kidneys for almost twenty years, he epitomised living. He still worked at RTM and he still drove my sister everywhere. He had beeen graced with prolonged life to watch his one and only son grew up, went to boarding school, off to university, started working, got married and had two adorable children. In fact, the second grandchild was born on the day he was admitted to hospital for lung infection. He was given a month to hold, cradled and enjoyed the new addition to his little family. My sister thought it would be one of those hospital stay where he would be in and out soon enough. Not this time.

Thus, when I received the news of his passing, I tried to call my eldest sister but it was not answered. I sent an sms of condolence. Later, when she returned my call, she could not say much as she ended up crying which would start me crying too. Thus, I calmed her and told her I would see her the next day. There was no point in having a conversation which were punctuated with sobs.

When I visited her and hugged her close, I wished I had the right words to say. Since I did not have any, I just kept quiet and held her close. Silence spoke volumes. Later, we talked about the incidents leading to my brother in-law's death, recalled the Hari Raya visit  two years ago, her son's children especially the one-month old beautiful Zara. As she was at her son's house, there were no visitors from neighbours or friends. If she was at her house, then she would have to receive all these well-meaning guests and could not just be on her own among family to come to terms with her loss. When I wanted to take my leave, again ... what can I say to ease her pain, her loneliness and sense of loss? What do you say when words are not enough??? ;-{{  



Somehow, as time passes, the pain will lessen but the warmth of love and memories remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment