Saturday 4 January 2014

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hoessini

Over the holidays I managed to catch up with the books that I had bought but just could not read or completed reading it. Thus, the trip to KK was a good time to complete "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hoessini. The others had gone snorkelling and swimming, thus, I was relegated as 'bag watcher' and kept my mother in-law company. While she dozed off on the beach, I continued reading my book. Of course, once I got started, it was difficult to put it down. Hence, the remaining days saw me catching up with the story.

I cried. For Baba and Ali. For Amir and Hassan. I got upset with the two boys. I got angry with Hassan's mishaps. I smiled at Suraya's and Amir's courtship. I was elated with their marriage. I was so carried away with the story. Finally, I was happy when Amir finally managed to redeem himself for whatever he had done to Hassan. This helped to expunge his guilt deeply buried in his soul all his growing up years. I was so engrossed and deep into the story. I may be physically be with them but my mind and heart were with the story of Amir and Hassan. It was a captivating and heart-rending story of the two boys whose lives were intertwined and tied in such a complicated yet easy manner. Due to social status, divided by caste and beliefs ... they are apart but very near. Their love-hate relationship and master-servant status created a close bond yet that very close feelings finally pushed them far apart from each other until Amir committed the reason for them to be torn apart not only by district but country. It was set in an Afghanistan before the war with Russia and the the Taliban rule. Yes, I enjoyed this book. Now, I cannot wait to get my hands on his new book - "And the Mountains Echoed".

I am not doing a book review. You can always review the book from the thousands of websites in the internet. The book has been turned into a movie yet I just cannot watch it and has the soul of the book dispersed in the world of visualization. I am always like this. I get so absorbed and engrossed in the book that touched my soul and mind that I hug the story deep within me. I refuse to let go. I always feel so down after I completed a good book. It is like losing your best friend. It is not always that I find a good book or it is because I seldom read this genre anymore.

At the end of the day, one just has to let go and move on to the next book. Just as in reality...pick yourself up, brush the dust off your back, take a deep breath, smile and slowly but surely move on ....  there are still many books to be read - partly thanks to the boys' book vouchers ... :-)))p

No comments:

Post a Comment