Friday 7 March 2014

A Legend?

Me? A teacher legend? Isshhh ... I did not think I was so ancient. :-))  I'm still in my early half century. I do not have any acronyms of alphabets next to my name - JSU, GC, GK, PK, SICS or DELO. Just an English teacher. Full stop. Nothing more nothing less. I refused and I was not interested. I prefer just to teach...

I met an ex-student of 91/92 batch when I stopped for a break at Sg. Perak R&R. I was looking around the food stalls when I noticed this young man was staring at me. I just gave him a smile and waited at one of the tables. Suddenly, that young man approached my table with his wife. Zin came soon after with my drink. He asked me if I was the person he thought I was. When I acknowledged it, he sat down and started to introduce himself. It was such a gratifying feeling. Of course I remembered him even though it was 22 years ago !!! :-0))   I first came to Kedah in 1991. I started out teaching Forms 4 - 6. I was his form teacher in Form 4 and since the school practiced "follow-up" system, I was also their form teacher in Form 5. They were good, hard-working and disciplined students or was it because I was firm and disciplined????? Of course we caught up and he kept me updated with the others' development and we took photos. Suhaimi posted the photos in their school's alumni facebook and guess what were the comments ???? Ha..ha..ha... read on ...


What made me remembered this batch was due to the fact that I had to push them to study English. They did well, most of them with Suhaimi now attached as Head of Lab Dept with UniKL Ipoh. Hasnah had started her own legal firm in Kelang. I smiled and uttered "Alhamdulillah". They had done better than me, their old English teacher.

My sons had a fun time reading their comments. Suhaimi referred me as "teacher legend" and Ikram said the same thing. He said I should had realised that. They are now in their 40's. Can you imagine???? It was always gratifying to be reminded that somehow, at that moment of time, I had touched somebody's young life and made a difference. Thank you, Allah, for small mercies. I am humbled and grateful.

Teacher legend ???? Naahhhh .... I do not think I deserve it and neither am I one. I'd rather be my simple, unassuming self.  :-))




No comments:

Post a Comment