Saturday 8 March 2014

Second Chances .... ???

Recently I heard that our neighbour, Kak Om, who lost her husband last year due to diabetes, had remarried. She is 54 years old. Just as recent, a friend asked if there were second chances would you take it? I asked her to clarify. She said her old friend had gotten divorced and asked her to accept him into her life again. She is still single by choice. She is in her 40's. Well ??? I smiled at her ... she smiled and said if it had happened years ago, she would jump at this opportunity. But now, being much wiser (???  :-))p ) and perhaps older, made her consider her decision. She asked for my opinion ....oh dear me...

Well .... would I take the opportunity thrown at me? If it happens ... no, I do not think so. Serious...she asked. Yes, I answered without hesitation. What if someone is interested in you? she asked. What??? I asked. Who in his right mind would be interested in someone like me??? But why ???? she pestered.

Firstly, I am in my 50's. I do not think I would like to go through another life where I had to be subjected to another man. I think I would prefer to be on my own and do things at my own whims and pleasure without having to think of anybody's permission or schedule. Moreover, I am so used to make my own decisions and being independent. I think I would like that freedom if it is given to me. We have changed. The experiences that we went through life, the people we meet along the way, the ups and downs we have gone through have changed and moulded us into the person we are now. Besides, what we feel for that person years ago may not be what we feel for him now. I asked her if she still feels the same for her friend .. and she is unsure of her feelings too. Anyway, at my age, I am no longer looking for love. What is love anyway??? Furthermore ... I like to just think about me, for a change.  Finally, whoever falls in love with me at this age must either be blind or just stupid. I am getting old and there are so many young, pretty ladies available out there. Why waste your life with someone as old as I am ??? We laughed our heads off. This is a good song - I especially want to highlight the chorus : From the song "Sometimes love just ain't enough"

 "But there's a danger in loving somebody too much
And it's sad when you know it's your heart you can't trust;
There's a reason why people don't stay where they are
baby, sometimes love just ain't enough..."

Yet, I told her ... being the hopeless,undying romantic me ... follow your heart. Not love, but in love. They are two different feelings. We love everybody. But in love with only that special someone. Do go ahead. You may have years more to go or you may have none. So, grab the opportunity. Fall in love again. Get to know him again. Who knows??? This time it may work out. But for me .... I'll pass.

For my neighbour, Kak Om and Sofiah, who had also remarried after her husband passed away, I wish them happiness. Sometimes, people are afraid of being alone and lonely. For me ... I cherish being alone and on my own. Loneliness ... it's all about the mind ... ha..ha..ha.. :-0))




No comments:

Post a Comment