Tuesday 1 July 2014

What I had learned from being a CT ...

My task as a the Cooperating Teacher (CT) ended on 26 June 2014 after almost 4 months. In reality I did not do anything much except observing the practical teachers, evaluate them, had a talk and imparting my experience and my opinion regarding their classroom performance. Otherwise, whenever I was free, I spent time getting to know them. After conferring with their supervisor on the last day, I handed over the files, the reports and the marks. Well, I tried to be fair in evaluating them. There was a glitch in the arrangement of supervising them. I was only supposed to be in-charge of only 2 out of 3 i.e. Liza and Zaini. Unfortunately, Shazliyana's CT had a minor stroke and I had to take over her task too. Anyway, all this while I was in-charge of the 3 of them trying to cover-up for the other teacher whose health issues deteriorated from May.

So, what had I gained over the months they were here? The trainees were so young (Akmal's age) about 23 years of age. What was nice about them was the fact that they were willing to learn and be guided. After the second observation, I was very dissatisfied with their performance and attitude. Some teachers had also complained about their involvement in the clubs and societies that they were required to serve. I withheld their observation report for almost a fortnight trying to figure out how to reprimand these trainees. By nature, I am not a diplomatic person and I can be very forthright and just speak my mind. I guess I offend some people through this. Thus, one day, I just sat with them and told them what I expected of them, what they should at least try to achieve after their stint here and made their practicum much more worthwhile. Alhamdulillah, they were open-hearted about it, accepted the reprimands, the guidelines, the advice .... that at the end of their practicum, the other teachers in the staffroom declared them the best trainees we ever had !!!  :-D))  I was so proud. Some teachers laughingly joked - "See who their CT is !!" Ha...Ha...Ha...

Our last day together was on the field for Sports Day. They actively participated and decorated their Sport's house tents, took part in the teacher's event and even cheered for their house. We just sat talking and taking photos. They finally revealed that initially, they were also afraid of me as I looked so serious and no nonsense attitude. Not only students had this fear but also them. Huh???? Oh well, my reputation precedes me. By now they were glad I was their CT and had a deep respect for my professional attitude.


Back to the question posed earlier - what had I gained from my stint as CT ? I learned how to handle a delicate situation in how to talk to these young, future teachers without diffusing their interest and enthusiasm in their profession. I learned to be accommodating and helpful guiding them without suffocating them or mollycoddling them. I learned to guide and not lead. I learned to lower my expectations. I learned that they came with new methodology and that their teaching style now was more relaxing, open-handed, leaning towards facilitating instead of teaching. At the end of their practicum stint, I guess all of us learned something from each other.

Before we hugged and said goodbye, I wished them all the best in their chosen career and hoped that they would uphold the teaching profession. They went around the field thanking all the teachers who were still around and taking photographs with the students. Finally, they shed tears of leaving .... So, I guess, their practicum stint was worthwhile after all.... :-)))  As a farewell gift, I had given them a hand-made crochet bookmark courtesy of Wah. My staff was surprised that I, as the CT, gave them a token of remembrance. They had come to me for a season and somehow or rather, had touched my life. They had tasted my cooking, of course - chicken sandwich, macaroni blackpepper, almond rocher (courtesy of Ikram and Syafiq), apples ... - I treated them like my own children. In return this is what they had given me and a touching note of appreciation.

The box of chocolates - they said this was all they could afford - I thanked them and told them it was the thought that counted .. ;-))
I did not do much yet they were so appreciative. I was so touched ... ;-}
I hope this is the first and last stint as a CT .... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment