Tuesday 28 August 2018

My Manchester Trip - Just sharing

One had not visited Manchester if one did not go to visit it's famous football stadium - Old Trafford - home for the Manchester United or Red Devils. I did not go for a tour of the iconic stadium but Akmal and Noor did courtesy of Ismahan. I just went as a courtesy visit and of course, the must take photo of the legendary statue - The Trinity brothers of MU namely George Best, Denis Law and Bobby Charlton. I hope I got that correct. We also went to visit the football museum in town and there was a Manchester City parade on the said day. Thus, it was a sea of people in blue all over town. The guys also managed to catch an MU game as arranged by Ismahan. We owed her so much for her warm and welcoming hospitality.


It was interesting to observe that an ancient heritage church has been taken over by the British Muslim Heritage Centre and converted into a mosque, religious studies classes and a museum too. Since it is a heritage building, they cannot demolish and rebuild but to preserve the building while turning it into something else. Thus, one can see gargoyles guarding the building. I love it for its historical value and antiquity. But then ... I have always loved old buildings and historical places.

BMHC - British Museum Heritage Centre - where the guys went to perform their Friday prayers

Another ancient building at Manchester University
Religion is more tolerated in the west amidst the fear of Islamophobia and terrorism. Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester has a multi faith room for all religions to practise their faiths and a chapel which also acted as a prayer room for Muslims and Christians or meditation space for other religion. It is comforting to know that one has privacy and respect in each corner of the room.




The arrow shows the kiblat - where Muslims face for prayers at one corner of the chapel
When going through such a turbulence in life, having "someone" was so comforting and healing. Mieko, Ismahan's cat which kept me company for the whole week everyone was away. Besides her, there were also Brutus and Kylo who sent me off at the doorstep and were always around to welcome me home in the evening. Even though it was actually just for their food to be refilled.


There were so many photos taken that Loh said I should share as many as I could so that the photos  did not remain in the phone or iPad. Hence, I hope you have enjoyed the photos too although it really has taken some time to post in my blog due to so much that had happened over the last few months that to be in the mood for writing and posting this was just not in me. Finally, I shall post some photos of Edinburgh, Scotland which captivated me with its old world charm and antiquity.

No comments:

Post a Comment