Sunday 3 February 2013

Slow, painful walk to health ...

After two weeks of taking a break from doing my walk, I started again yesterday with Ikram as my companion. MasyAllah, my legs were so stiff especially the left leg. This time the fall affected me badly. I slowed my pace and managed 2 rounds. Ikram had already jogged 3 rounds. Hmm... how I envy the vitality of youth.  ;-)(-;   

I had been regularly doing my walk all this while as it helped to maintain my weight. The doctor said as long I managed to control my weight and if possible, lose a few kilos, I would be able to manage my glucose and cholesterol level. So far so good. Last check-up was a week ago and my readings were satisfactory. I would like to maintain them so that I only had to worry about my hypertension. School seemed to stress me out and I was seriously thinking of early retirement.

Anyway, I had a few falls over the years and each time it seemed to get worse. As my staff who were around when I had the recent fall told the others - "..... she just collapsed. Her legs just gave way and she fell." The doctor said maybe I should go for bone density test and check for osteoporosis. She gave me some pain killers and 2 days MC. So, I went for traditional massage and do I HATE it !! It hurts ... ;-(((  Yet, I went through the pain hanging on to the thought that I would get better, insyAllah.

Well, after a week, I was much better but my legs were so stiff. When Ikram came back for his mid-sem break, he followed me to the park. Just in case something should happen, he would be around. So, yesterday, I started my walk so that I exercised my joints and made my legs a little supple. It was painful and  tiring that I slept liked a log that night!

Today, we went again and Ikam was worried when I took some time to complete my rounds. I slowed down as I could feel the stiffness in my legs. The weather was so refreshing for the first time in weeks. Instead of the blazing and scorching heat, today was cloudy and very windy. I would not want to miss this - the strong winds blowing against your face, the lovely cloudy day to do your walk ... it would be a bonus had it rained !!! :-DD   Ikram would have enjoyed the rain too !!! So, until the next walk .. may I have the strength, patience and tenacity to continuously do this simple yet torturous exercise.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment