Thursday 30 May 2013

Portuguese Egg Tart

I had never liked egg tart because of the eggy smell. I did not like egg so much. Just like caramel pudding when I was introduced to it by Yah, my housemate in Kelantan. Until I ate the one in Mecca, do I fell in love with it. Ever since I ate the layered egg tart in Kota Kinabalu, I loved it. After KK, I could not find an egg tart like the ones that we ate there. Since the bakery was next to the hotel, we always got the layered egg tart freshly baked from the oven. Another comfort food - nice, warm, delicious aroma, secure, love, kindness.....all the feelings rolled into one. Then, one day, back in Alor Setar, I saw this egg tart being sold at King's Confectionery at Tesco. It was hot from the oven and thus, I bought one to give it a try. Almost but not the same. Yet, it still reminded you of KK, ... the rain at the jetty while waiting for our boat to Sapi Island, ... the freshly baked smell of bread and pastry, ... the warm feeling of being with loved ones .... Thus, I bought for the others too. It was not easy to get as Tesco Mergong was way out of my area. I only went there if I had something specific to look for. Plus, they did not sell it regularly. It was only sold freshly baked so if I was lucky to be there at the right time, I would get it.

While in Seremban, Syafiq and I stopped over at Tesco for a bite and saw King's Confectionery. I went there just to see what they had and this young girl came out from the back with a tray of freshly baked Portuguese egg tarts. MasyAllah. SubhanAllah. Alhamdulillah. It brought a happy smile to both of us as we recalled the tarts from KK. So, we bought 6 to bring back to Kelana Jaya so Wah could enjoy it too.

The layered Portuguese egg tart from King's Confectionery. It has a halal logo from Jakim.
After a bite .... the egg custard filling - smooth, creamy and just nice sweetness ... hmmmmm  :-))
The box of 6 egg tarts inside


2 comments:

  1. Hai sis..bole tau x kedai egg tart kat kk tu area mane?coz actually tgh ngidam kings punye..tp now dh duduk kk..hardly to find the same 1..huhu

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bakery is next to Hotel Sixty3, 0 km Jalan Gaya, KK. It is opposite Sabah Tourism building. Go in the morning about 9am - freshly baked. I hope its still there as I went there in 2012 ... 😊

    ReplyDelete