Friday 22 February 2013

Duck Meat Rendang ... ;-}

When I was young, I had a Chinese neighbour who reared ducks. I used to send whatever left over rice we had to this lady and would get ducks' eggs in return. I never imagined that we could eat duck meat. I meant we saw the ducks everyday and they were part of our young lives then. When I got married, I was exposed to all these exotic foods. My mother in-law liked to prepare something different for Hari Raya thus we had rendang from goose meat. I did not really took to it and very seldom tried it. I was not really very adventurous about food. More often now we had rendang from ducks since they reared them. I did tried when I did not realised what it was. I was wondering why it tasted different and did not gave it another try. Noor liked to play pranks on me. He has an uncle whose house always serves exotic meat like porcupine, mousedeer, wild fowl ... this uncle of his loves hunting. I hardly eat whatever was on the table and settled for cookies.

During Chinese New Year holidays, my sister in-law came and brought us frozen duck meat from kampung courtesy of my mother in-law. Well ... I asked why didn't they sent the cooked version? ... heh..heh.. :-}   So, I would have to cook it just to appreciate my mother in-law's thoughtful gesture. I am always very appreciative and grateful of whatever people gave me. I knew Noor would want me to cook it.

When I was at my youngest sister in-law's housewarming khenduri last year, I helped out in the kitchen and observed this man (a cook they employed just to cook this dish) cooked rendang from duck meat. I learned and helped. Thus, I tried to cook the duck meat given today. Well, there was nobody home last week. Since Ikram was home for this weekend, I cooked the rendang from the duck meat. It was delicious, if I may said so ... :-)  This time I tried a piece or two because I did not see the duck's cute little face. Not bad ... since the two guys finished off a bowl of it. The rest was reserved for tomorrow's breakfast to be eaten with bread. Something new to experiment and learn. The last time I learned to cook venison (deer meat) which my brother in-law sent to us. These people are really very adventurous where exotic food is concerned. Including the three boys. I usually did not eat what I cook. I'll stick to the normal chicken fare.  :-D  


Tonight's dinner of duck meat rendang, fried tiger prawns (Ikram's favourite) and broccoli
The duck meat rendang - it took almost 4 hours of slow cooking so that it is tender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment