Tuesday 10 February 2015

I Shall Do Nothing ...

"What are you going to do?" ... "What are your plans?" ..... "Do you intend to do anything?" ....

The questions that I got after colleagues found out that I had applied to opt out before my actual retirement date. Why did I do it?..... What finally made me decided to go for it?.... What about my long term plans? ....  Why should I answer any of them??????

I had studied for almost 19 years - 13 years in school, 3 years in college and 3 years in university. I had worked, including this year, for 31 years. I had taught and educated thousands of students. I had taught in 4 states. I had met numerous colleagues and staff. I had gone through experiences that only came through living them. I had matured beyond my years. I had been wiser due to these exposures, heartaches, hard life, little amenities and facilities. I had met lovely people whom I would always treasure, simple people who taught me life is actually what you made of it, people who were spiteful and vengeful, people who went out of their way to help and made life a lot easier, people who trusted you with their secrets, people who made your life miserable and a heart ache ..... people of such diversity and characters .... people whom you loved and embraced into your life .... and people whom you loathed and loved to hate ... but life is too short to hate and be bitter. Just let it go, smile and move one. Leave the miseries behind ....

Thus, my answer to those well-meaning questions are - I want to do nothing. I may not have another 31 years. So much I want to do and explore. My health is much at stake now. I am financially sufficient. My needs are few and my wants are minimal. Hence, if my application is approved, insyaAllah, I want to take one day at a time. Make everyday a meaningful day of doing nothing and everything. Take life easy after years of pressure and stress. Not rush through anything. My prayer is simply for a slow, relaxed life doing more for my Creator and less for my human counterparts and worldly goals. May my simple wish be granted with your prayers for me, too. Aamiin.



No comments:

Post a Comment