Sunday 4 October 2015

Heart And Soul - Maeve Binchy


I was first introduced to Maeve Binchy books when I read "Circle of Friends" and "Tara Road"which I borrowed from the public library years ago. It was a very comforting read. Her easy, conversational style of writing always gives you a warm, satisfying feeling especially when you are so stressed out with whatever is bothering you in reality.

"Heart and Soul" was another such read. A lovely, feel good book, would be my judgment. A happy read as I was stressed with all the intensive and focussed revision for the PT3 exam. As the school had arranged a flexi time-table which started from 7:40am to 3:00pm everyday after the Hari Raya Haji break, the teachers and students were quite stretched out. My schedule was set on Mondays and Wednesdays. Thus, on other days it was relief duty or being in the hall minding the students at the back so that they paid attention and maintaining the discipline. After getting most of my work done, I was quite free. I chose this book from my collection of yet to be read books. Something light, easy, comforting, gentle and relaxing. It is also humorous and I have fun laughing and enjoying the well-written book.

The story is of family, friends, patients and others who work at a heart clinic. It is modern yet conventional. Uptown yet still developing Dublin. Sophisticated yet wholesome. Exasperating yet motivational. The heart clinic community are intertwined and inter-related with each other. It is actually idealistic and almost perfect. It is also a love story of sorts where broken hearts meet someone new. Opposites do attract and one does not settle for being comfortable without the "zing zing" in the matters of the heart. Why settle for someone mediocre just to feel safe and not lonely? What is life without passion and excitement? What is life together without love?

The affairs of Declan, the young plain-looking inferior doctor with the outgoing, extrovert, easy-going Fiona who is actually very hurt and afraid to love and commit again to another man. The plotting of Clara (the cardiologist who heads this community) with Hilary (the administrator) to match up their children. Clara with the hospital administrator, Frank. Finally, a match for her intelligence and personality. Barbara with David, both friends of Fiona. Ania, a Polish immigrant with Carl, the son of a pleasant, wealthy father and an arrogant, high-class mother. It is all well-written and woven with such a pleasant feel to it. When I read it, I am also involved with everybody and wish them well. That things have a way of working out by themselves, God willing.

The characters are like any normal, working people eking out a living. Each has a life of insecurity, love, disdain, arrogance, humility, tolerance, hurts, resentment, regrets, sense of hopelessness ... where one has family problems with children who always claim that parents do not understand them. Where parents just have to accept that their children do not epitomise their own ideals and hopes. The modern generation vs the older generation.

I am not doing a review. My sons asked me why do I read and write about it? Like doing an assignment. I read and analyse it because I have enjoyed it. Besides, I do not want my brains and mind to become redundant and just read for reading sake. I may not have someone to thrash it out like when I was in university so ... I write about it. So that if someone who visits my page or page reviewer reads about it, might be tempted to pick up the book and also enjoy it. I write it from my point of view. It is not academic nor heavily analysed. Just writing from the heart ... :-0))

My final comment - You feel sad when you have completed the book. It's time to say goodbye and hope things work out for everybody.


No comments:

Post a Comment