Friday 29 January 2016

... And Klonghae Floating Market in Hat Yai

I had always wanted to visit the floating market just to see what it was like. Yes, I definitely took pleasure in watching the people - mostly foreign tourists - and savouring the food on sale, the local cultural performance and just adored the scenic view, noise and people even though it was still HOT at that hour. The market started its operations at 5:00pm - local time. I would not mind returning here just to enjoy the place. There were a lot of local delicacies but we were so full after the heavy delicious lunch at Lampho beach about 20 minutes from Samila Beach. Look at the photos ... enjoy them ... ;-0))  (for Muslims - halal food was marked with the Halal logo or the moon&star symbol)
NOTE to self - come with an empty stomach so one could try the food available ...



The crowd gathered near the boats to check out the delicacies available .. the sellers sat on their boats (sampan)




The eggs are grilled instead of boiled. The colourful delicacies behind the eggs were miniature jellies with nuts in them - amazingly creative and attractive. Taste? Not sure as I did not try them ..
Beef soup - all the innards and fat of the cow ... 
I loved this - drinks were sold at 30 Bhats and put into ceramic containers or bamboos with their national orchid as gifts .. imaginative and original. 


Besides on the boats, there were also the stalls over the bridge and along the river banks. Tables and chairs were strewn all along the riverside for the crowd to sit and enjoy their chosen food .... I would still say cleanliness was maintained even though it was full of people being a weekend.

Exotic insects for anybody interested  ....

Further up the lane, there was a temple with this baby elephant - you could buy some food and fed it
The throng of people checking out the variety of things offered
I loved this concept of environment friendly wrappers - instead of plastic or paper, they used banana leaf
The colourful candy floss - multi flavoured
The finale - the traditional dance ... I took this photo by climbing up the stairs to the musicians' platform ... they kept looking at me but I ignored them and quickly took my shot ... ;-))) ... yes, I would definitely come again just to bask in this vibrant, fascinating, multicoloured and lively atmosphere.




No comments:

Post a Comment