Thursday 28 January 2016

Taking A Break ...

Akmal was back for a two-week break. We attended Zaki's wedding (16 January 2016) and fulfilled our filial piety duty towards Noor's mother aka Akmal's grandmother. I did not feel like returning home yet so Noor suggested we dropped by Lumut and a day sojourn to Pangkor Island. We had never been to Pangkor Island so with Akmal and Ikram in tow, we drove to Lumut taking the old route instead of the highway. We used to travel along this road before the highway was completed. A lot of changes and development had taken place. It was a sight to enjoy and a break from the monotonous highway view. We spent a night at Teluk Batik and proceeded to Pangkor Island the next morning.

Teluk Batik was very quiet due to a working and schooling week. Only the navy guys were around having their training. I took a lone, solitary walk along the quiet bay early in the morning since the others would rather catch up with their beauty sleep. It was just me, my thoughts and my memories of the beach. It was refreshing, cooling and the calm sea was soothing to the soul. I loved it. Alone but never lonely.

We packed our bags and proceeded to Pangkor Island. It was only a thirty minute boat ride at RM10 for a return ticket. Most probably because it was a weekday. I thought we would enjoy the boat ride .... but an entourage of tourists from China came on board and conquered every space, nook and corner .... They were busy taking photos, selfies and groupies that our view was blocked. I purposely went up the upper deck where it was open aired and they were there too. We just smiled at them and made the best of the situation.

How do I find Pangkor Island? Nothing much except for the beaches. I did not like the winding hilly roads and the heat was terrible on that day. It was so hot and humid that I had a headache .. and the roads were all one way that if you started from the town ... all you could do was drove on one large circle around the island and you ended up in the town again .... No, I do not think I will pay a second visit .....

Lumut Jetty Terminal
Some of the group members from China taking over the boat space
The ferry to Pangkor Island ... we took the upper deck for the view

The view from the ferry
A Navy Ship docked at Beaufort Naval Shipyard
To mark a large stone in the waters
One of the many towers along the road for viewing purposes
The view taken from the tower above - breathtaking - courtesy of Akmal's expertise


No comments:

Post a Comment