Saturday 3 March 2012

It's like the years have not gone by...

Meg, a retired teacher, my room mate for the night.
Kwee Chu, we had not met since Form 5 (1978)

Maureen and grand niece at Feringghi beach.

It was a nice warm feeling after the short weekend together and rebonding after so many years. Yet, even after such a long separation, it's like we have never parted ways. We just picked up where we left off and updated each other with our going-ons. Good friends do  not have to be together all the time to maintain the relationship. It's the feeling of sincerity, love and honesty without expecting nothing more but the best for each other.

I left with a happy, contented and fulfilling feeling when I went back to Alor Setar after 2 days and a night together. They planned it so that they could accommodate my Friday weekend. I had not seen Kwee Chu since our last rendezvous to Air Keroh lake after MCE exams. I still have the photos. It's almost 30 years yet we just kept each other abreast with what is happening in our lives now. The camaraderie was still between us. Easy-going and accepting our marked differences. They are all Catholics. I am a Muslim. Nonetheless, it does not make us any different. We respect each other and they accommodated my habits such as food and prayer times. Neither does religion separate us and build a barrier between us that we find it difficult to talk to each other. It was easy maybe because I have an open attitude towards my religion. They asked, even the little child - I answered as well as I could within my knowledge.

Last I met up with Maureen was 5 years ago when she tracked me down in Alor Setar by asking every BATA shoe store about the manager whose wife is a teacher. It did not cross her mind that Noor might have changed his career. We spent that night talking about late Peter, her life in Australia and her application for permanent resident of Australia. So, when we met up last weekend, we just followed up where we left off.

I also got to meet up with Wong Chiew Lee and Furziah while waiting for them. Wong graciously spent some time picking me up from the jetty and sent me to the hotel. We spent some time updating each other after 8 years. Furziah came later after tennis training. Both of them, although busy with their schedule, happily spent some time keeping me company while waiting for the others' arrival.Thank you, Allah. Alhamdulillah. For arranging my schedule such that I managed to meet up with those who are meaningful in my life. Thank you, ya Allah, for a husband and life partner who understands my need for time out with my friends. For letting me go and have some girls' time out. SubhanAllah. Alhamdulillah.

No comments:

Post a Comment