Thursday 22 March 2012

Caramel Pudding


I got my first taste of caramel pudding in Kelantan back in the 80's when I was posted there. Zariah, my then housemate, tried it and served it when I went visiting to her house in Beris Kubur Besar, Bachok. I did not get the hang of its taste. It has an eggy smell and very sweet, typical of Kelantanese desserts. It put me off this pudding for many years to come.

The second time in my life I tried this was in Mekah at one of the many kiosks in Ben Dawood mall. Noor and I went to the mall after Zohor. We did not go back to the hotel for lunch. So, while waiting for Asar, we wandered in the biggest, exclusive supermarket opposite Masjidil Haram. I enjoyed this place. You could find rambutans, mangosteens...but the exorbitant price!!! We really had a good laugh over it. :-D

Then, I saw this kiosk with this cute, yellowish pudding in small, round containers. The size of Kenny Rogers' muffins. I just wanted to taste it. I asked the seller what was this dessert? I assumed it's another Arab's dishes. At least he could speak English. He said it was caramel pudding. It cost 6 Riyal for something so small. I did not care. I wanted it even though Noor said it was expensive. So, we bought one to share in case I did not like it, then he had to finish it. As usual.  ;=) I was quite apprehensive to try something new. So, I took a small scoop with the spoon given. It was heavenly. It was smooth, delicious and just nice. I fell in love with it. I regretted not buying two!!! We were already on our way out of the building so, I told him I wanted another one tomorrow. The next day, the kiosk was not there any more. I never got to go there again after that as by then we were busy with the haj and going off to Arafah and Mina. But, I never forget its taste. It's like comfort food. You always remember it with a smile, a sense of happiness and a feel good feeling.

In Malaysia, especially during Ramadhan, there were quite a few versions of this caramel pudding sold at the bazaars. I also tried a few recipes given by friends, books and the internet. Yet, it was never quite the same. One day, I found Asyraf's blog. I knew him since he was a child. He is Kak Safiah's son. I tutored him in English Literature for his SPM. The only candidate in Alor Setar sitting for the paper. Mind you, he is from an Agama school! He is 20 years old, studying English and Literature at UIA. Same age as Syafiq. In fact, they also know each other since they went to the same tuition class. He likes to bake. He did this caramel pudding and put it in his blog, step by step. It looked simple enough.

So, I decided to give it a try. I put in too much custard powder, hence a little hard. The next time, it was perfect to me but Noor and Ikram said not enough caramel. Hmmm....they like everything sweet. Especially Ikram who has a sweet tooth and simply loves chocolates. Yes!!!! now I know how to do it. It may not taste as what I tasted before but at least it reminds me of that feel good feeling, when everything was alright with the world. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment