Sunday 15 July 2012

Thank you for life's little mercies...

Omayah's bed number
When Omayah told me that the hospital had rescheduled her operation to take out the benign cyst again on the 15th July, I was upset because I would not be able to wait for her on that day. I was involved as an examiner for the ULKCP (private candidates English oral for SPM) at SMK Pokok Sena 2. She said it was okay since we had gone through it the last time so she knew what to expect. Besides, Shifa, her niece who was on semester break, would be there. All she asked was that I prayed for her.

On the said day, I went for my English oral exam as an examiner. I smsed her my thoughts and prayers. I wished I was there beside her to give her encouragement and support. Allah Maha Mendengar. The oral today was a breeze. We were supposed to have 24 candidates with 8 candidates for the three sessions each. For the first session, 7 turned up. The second session was only 4 candidates. The 11:30 session was only 5 candidates. My team comprised of Pn. Kok Kam Leng (aka my district chief for MUET), Pn. Chee Guit Leng, Melody Ooi and Yana as the quarantine teacher. These are old friends. Yana was new. So, to kill the time between the second and third session (9:30am - 11:30am) after we had taken our break at the school's canteen, Pn. Kok entertained us with hilarious stories. We shared funny experiences. I had never had a good laugh where you literally cried with laughter. Neither had Pn. Chee laughed so much as she was usually very cool, serious and collected. I had not met up with Pn. Chee since 2 or 3 years ago as she was not called up for MUET. She asked me my age :-)  She was surprised when I mentioned it assuming I was much younger!!!!! She was retiring next year at 58. Melody said maybe because I had only boys. It could be a factor but she thought I was about her age or just slightly older. Oh well...we really made a riot at that school. By 12:15pm, it was over and we called it a day until tomorrow. Hopefully more candidates would turn up as we were only paid RM1 per candidate that we tested! :-{

Thus, after sending Pn. Chee home (she took a ride with me being in the same housing estate) I was already home before 1:00pm. I was waiting for Omayah's message. When she did finally smsed me it was almost 1:30pm. She was finally out of the operating room. I went to the hospital immediately and met Shifa, her niece at her car. I told her I would take over and wait for her aunty. Omayah was glad and relieved to see me. She thought she would be all alone until her discharge and waiting for Shifa. Her sister, Umaza, was in KL. I was glad I was here for her. They wanted to take the lump out to send it to KL for more conclusive tests for any cancer cells. I let her talk for a while and told her to sleep off the anesthetic. I sat on the chair and waited for her and I closed my eyes for a catnap.  :-)  I woke up when an attendant came to ask if Omayah wanted something for tea. Bubur gandum and hot tea. I told her to take something and see whether she could eat. Well, she ate half of it and she did not vomit so the effects of the anesthetic was gone. When the nurse came with the bill and medicine chit, I took care of it for her so that she could be discharged. Do you know that it only cost her RM23 for this minor operation? RM20 for the operation and RM3 for her bed. :-D  I could not believe it and I had to ask twice plus reminding the girl at the counter that she had surgery. She was not a government officer. Allah Maha Mengasihani. Just 2 weeks ago, the cost of her son's minor operation at the private hospital was RM5,800. Although he was insured, it did not cover 100% of the cost. So, I sent her home.

I was very happy with myself. At least I could still be around for her when she had nobody. Surgery, however minor, was a daunting experience. Scary. Being alone with only Allah with you. I was glad she went through it as she did not have to worry about it. Thank you, Allah. For letting me be there with her. Alhamdulillah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment