Saturday 28 March 2015

The SAL Centre Project

During the one-week mid-term break I was involved in the setting up of the SAL Centre in my school. The old one was demolished along with the whole building to give way to a new four-storey block. Thus, when the old library and resource centre moved to the new building, the old resource room was left redundant. So, the Principal asked the English panel to set up the SAL Centre.

 We had extra classes during the holidays. After the extra classes, I came with the assistance of the five form four students whom I elected as the committee members of the room, to set it up slowly and from scratch. There was no budget for the room. It was personal budget with some aid from the Senior Subject Teacher for Languages. I volunteered to be the coordinator as I could set up my own room here. Besides, my classes were all on this block i.e. on first and third floor. If this is my last year of my teaching career, I wanted to leave this room as a legacy to the English unit.

Hence, I had fun and enjoyed setting up this room. I roped in all the help I could. When Zin came for a visit, he also came to help out with the carpentering and repairing whatever was necessary in that room. My students helped to move the books from the GK's room and we rearranged them on the shelves. I was given permission to use whatever I needed from the old library next to it. Thus, I fully utilised whatever I could use from the old library. Tables, shelves, book stands, TV, chairs .... and finally, after a week of hard work, sweat and money  .... here was what we had achieved ...

The front part of the room - the white board was put up by Zin - the pink door is my room :-))
The back part of the room
The left side at the back of the room
Since I like quotes, I added them as motivation and reading material
The coordinator's room - ME !!! :-)) - the door separated the old library
The dedicated and willing students who spent their holidays with me ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment