Friday 28 October 2011

Allahyarham Nazri...Mekah 2005

It was 3:00am. As usual I went to Noor's room near the lift to tell him that I was going to the mosque. Nazri was waiting for the lift. I asked him where was Omayah. He said she was not feeling well so he was going on his own. After I left a message with Noor's room mate, I think it was the Professor, I followed Nazri to the mosque. Being a very tall man, he walked very fast. I was not afraid of going on my own as the roads leading to the mosque was very bright because Mekah never slept. The road outside the hotel was already full of pilgrims walking towards the mosque. I lost Nazri along the way and so I attached myself to another group of Malaysian pilgrims. They were easily recognisable due to their telekung. As usual, I went up to the rooftop, alone but never lonely. I did my solat sunat and reciting the Quran while waiting for Subuh. I liked it up here. I felt so far away from people and so near to the skies.

After Subuh, I walked back to the hotel and Noor was already there. I met Omayah and she was looking for Nazri. I told her I met him this morning at the lift. Omayah usually had breakfast with him. While I was in my room, Noor came to see me, He told me to go to Omayah but did not say why. So, I went to Omayah's room. Somebody told me that she had gone out with the uztazah pembimbing. I honestly couldn't recall her name. So, I went to find Noor. He told me that Nazri had passed away and he was trying to follow the Tabung Haji officials to the hospital. I felt numbed. I talked to him that morning. I was restless and kept walking along the corridor. I was waiting for Omayah. I finally went back to my room until kak Ina told me that Omayah had come back and was in her room. I went to her room. The crowd was almost gone leaving only her room mates. I went to her bed and just hugged her. Uztazah came and together we recited the Yaasin for aruah Nazri.

Some time later, Omayah talked about Nazri when there were only the two of us. Just last night they went out for supper and took a walk along Mekah town. It was their anniversary or was it Nazri's birthday? I couldn't remember. She said for the first time Nazri held her hands after so many years and told her that she looked beautiful and that he loved her. Omayah felt like falling in love all over again. She raised the usual questions. She could not believe it when the uztazah told her to follow her to the hospital. Her room mate accompanied her. I could only be a friend and listened. We were in the same room in Madinah and separated in Mekah. Yet, we always met up during meals. Somehow, we just got along fine. Nazri was Noor's roomate in Madinah but separated in Mekah too. She was wondering how to tell her 3 boys in Malaysia. I honestly couldn't help her. I wouldn't know what to do in her position.

No comments:

Post a Comment