Sunday 30 October 2011

Memories of Mekah and the Haj 1426H / 2005-2006M

One memory that always made me smile was the time when I was walking alone along the road from the hotel. I didn't go to the mosque because Allah gave me leave. So, I made full use of it. As usual, I was on my own. I got to watch a man wrapped parcels by the roadside. I wonder how much was his service. Quite a few men ( there was only men along the road, in the shops and women, accompanied by men). It never crossed my mind about my safety. Allah kan ada. I was quite intrigued and interested at how fast he was wrapping the goods including bottles of zam-zam water from those people. I was thinking if only our Post office could do it as fast as that man. I discovered a few of them offering this service further up the road.

As I was walking upwards, I noticed a flock of pigeons feeding at the side of the road. It was like Komtar in Penang. There were like hundreds of them!. I just couldn't resist the urge to just clap my hands and watched them happily as they took flight. I walked away happily with my spontaneous actions. It was when I was back at the hotel that I realised that what I did could be harmful and wrong. So, out of guilt and being conscientious, I went to consult the uztazah. She just smiled and asked me if any of the birds dropped dead out of shock? Maybe a heart attack due to fright? In all innocence, I answered "No". Not as far as I could see. She said then if that was the case, the incident was alright. You were not allowed to harm or kill a living creature whether big or small in "Tanah Haram" or Mekah. Yet, at the end of the Haj, Noor paid the dam just to make sure.

I clapped my hands and watched them took flight...  :-0
 I continued my journey and entered a grocery store. As usual, it was just a convenience store with almost everything. I didn't purchase anything but just browsed through the type of goods available, where they came from, the differences compared to what we had back home. One day during our stay here, Noor and I went to the largest shopping complex near Masjidil Haram. It was called the "Ben Dawood". I loved to see the things available. They even had rambutans, mangosteens, guavas - just looked at the price!!! I especially like the souvenirs section and the precious gem stones sold here. I bought a few although they were quite expensive for friends and family.

 Noor and I went around Mekah one day. Of course I liked the book stores. They had books written in English. A pity I didn't buy any books. Noor did a lot of shopping. I only bought some necessary things before we went home. I bought a white jubah since I didn't bring any with me from Malaysia. They advised us to wear white when we were in Arafah and Mina. I bought some pocket sized Quran - the replica of the ones in the mosque. I bought one exactly the same size for myself which I loved very much. It is one book that I can read everyday and not be bored with it. Surprise huh? You keep reading and reading yet it's like a never ending quest for getting to know it.

I learned patience. I learned to keep my opinions to myself. I learned the value of silence. I learned to be observant. I learned to enjoy people. I learned acceptance. I learned humility. I learned simplicity. I learned respect. But most of all, I learned to be close to my Creator. SubhanAllah. MasyaAllah. Alhamdulillah.

No comments:

Post a Comment