Monday 21 November 2011

HAPPINESS?

I read an interesting article in the Sunday Star's newspaper yesterday (Sunday, 20th November). The title was "Scared to be too happy" written by Sumiko Tan. The part where she wrote - 'No longer do I seek Happiness (with a capital H) by chasing grand-lofty concepts such as Love, Wealth, Achievement and Fame. I've concluded that it's best to just accept what life has to offer, go with the flow, try my best in whatever I do, harm no one and hope that no one harms me,too. It's the small things nowadays that make me truly happy, and which I long for more.'  She listed a few things that make her happy.

Over the years, I too, do not look for happiness per se. I now look for acceptance (keredhaan). What makes me happy?
1. When I get a call from my sons and we talked for hours.
2. When I saw a rainbow after the rain.
3. When the birds come around to feed on the rice I throw out to them.
4. When I am given the opportunity to give more alms and watch the receiver smiles.
5. When I can give something that someone asks for especially family and friends.
6. When I make someone's life easier just by doing something big or small for them.
7. When I get e-mails, calls or just spend some time with dear friends.
8. When I can buy and give gifts to friends and family or an acquaintance.
9. When I get time out for my self, by my self, for my self without having to think of responsibilities.
10. When I can make someone happy just with my presence, my e-mail, my call or my time.  :=)

No comments:

Post a Comment