Tuesday 6 November 2012

Chocolate Moist Cake - Kak Ti's Original Recipe (1990's)

I learned how to bake my first cake with kak Ti's recipe. I baked it for my son's birthday. I think circa 1996 or 1997 i.e. when they were 5 or 6 years old. I was fed-up with the sponge and icing cake. When I am bored, I always try something new. So, kak Ti sent the recipe. As usual, I experimented first. It didn't turn out as I expected and half-baked. It was a disaster. I knew I did not know how to bake. Thus, I called kak Ti and she was not surprised that I could not do it. So, she taught me step by step through the phone. Of course, I had to listen to a "free lecture" first. Her tips - use very large eggs (where the eggs fit your palm), pure butter and always sieve the cocoa powder. Do not rush when you make the cake. Relax and make it with your heart and your hands.  :-))

I should know how to bake it since I stayed with her when I moved to KL. She used to take orders for this cake and I used to help her measured the ingredients. But I never baked it. None of my sisters thought I could cook. Neither did my mother. She could not even trust me to take care of my children when I had them. I was the "tomboy" of the family. I was used to the outdoors and doing outdoor chores and tasks. I was delegated as Bapak's partner to go everywhere from his visits to the doctor, the market, the shop, accompanied him to his "port" with his friends .... Thus, they never thought I could sew, cook, bake or take care of children. Yet, I proved them wrong. I guess if it is in your blood and in-bred within you (Mak's genes), I will turn out alright.

The second time, it was perfect. The boys and Noor (my guinea pigs) loved it. I brought some to school and surprise! surprise! .... I even had orders for it. I did it for friends but I only charge the ingredients. I am much happier making somebody happy. Nowadays, I do not do it for anybody but only for very special friends. I give them the recipe. :-))  I think I should learn to make use of what I know I can do very well as an income. But I honestly enjoy watching others enjoy the food that I prepared. It makes my life whole. I will do it for my sons' friends. For Noor's friends or family. Over the years I had done cooking for some friends.

I had not baked this cake for some years. I now prefer steam cakes but yesterday, I wanted to try this cake again since Syafiq was home until tomorrow (7th Nov). I smiled as I put on the topping as it brought back sweet memories with the boys. Syafiq wanted to cut the cake once it was out of the oven. It has a rich, heavy taste unlike steam cakes which are more spongy and soft. It smells of comfort food. The years with kak Ti, the first time I baked it for my in-laws, the recipe I taught my sisters in law, my friends, the birthdays with the boys and Noor. It's a special cake so I bake it only for special occasions thus making it something much to look forward to and to enjoy.  :-D))    
The slice of the original chocolate moist cake - better to be eaten chilled 
The recipe is given below in case someone would like to try it -

Ingredients :
CHOCOLATE MOIST CAKE
 ½ CAWAN KOKO                                               A
1 CAWAN AIR                               (Bancuh dan simpan dalam fridge 10 minit)
1 CAMCA TEH GARAM
1 CAMCA TEH NESCAFE

 2 CAWAN TEPUNG
½ CAMCA TEH BAKING POWDER
¼ CAMCA TEH BICARBONATE SODA       (Ayak ketiga-tiga bahan)
3 BIJI TELUR 
250G BUTTER
11/2 CAWAN GULA KASTOR

Cara :  1. Putar butter dan gula.
            2. Masukkan telur satu per satu.
            3. Campur tepung berselang dengan adunan A.
            4. Bakar selama 40 – 45 minit.

No comments:

Post a Comment