Wednesday 18 December 2013

Acting Tourist Guide ... ;-)) - Rumah Tok Su

Zin accompanied me back to Alor Setar after the "Cuti-Cuti Cari Makan" holidays were over. If I had to drive back alone, usually he would follow me. This time around, he stayed on for 3 days. Thus, I had to keep him busy before he decided he wanted to leave.. Usually he would arrive and that night itself or tomorrow he would prefer to return to KL. His latest hobby or projects was making model miniature houses. He had just completed a model of "Rumah Melaka". He wanted to see the houses of Kedah so that he had an image of the houses.

Zin at work with the Rumah Melaka
A model of a Minangkabau house and a gazebo by Zin
Thus, I became his tourist guide. I had lived here for 22 years and I had never ventured into these exhibition houses. I took him to visit a "Tok Su's" house near Taman Jubli Perak. I had passed this house for years but had never entered it. I always saw outdoor shooting for weddings. Entrance was free. It was the real house with its original wood and everything. According to the guard on duty the house was bought from a descendant of Tok Su by Dato' Sanusi Junid, who was the Chief Minister of Kedah at that time. They transported the house intact without disturbing any of the original fittings. The house was beautiful. I fell in love with it. Honestly I was usually very detached about houses. It would be just a house. But this house, aged 130 years old and made of cengal wood, had the layout of my childhood home memories. Not my own house but the old houses of some old folks back in Peringgit. This house felt so welcoming and I could only talk about the nostalgia that it brought forth with Zin. The guard was very friendly and knowledgeable. If only I could ..... there was no electricity or any wiring done so as to preserve its' authenticity. Photos depended on the sun rays filtering through - adding to the romanticism of the house.... ;-} We were lucky for the fine weather !!!


"Rumah Tok Su" - 130 years old and totally made of cengal. Beautiful house.
Another section of the house - reminded of Nenek Ponya's house - an area where family and friends will sit and have their meals or just to chat. I love this part.
The front angle of the house - airy, spacious, intricate carvings and so welcoming ... I felt so much at home
Zin (right) with the friendly guard aka tour guide
When you climb up the stairs outside, you will come to this section first before you climb up another flight of stairs leading into the house
Zin checking out how the main doors are connected at the main stairs leading into the house
A side view of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment