Friday 29 July 2011

The end of an era... ;-D

Wednesday, 27th July. Silvan's retirement day. He might just be an office staff at the office but he was like a sturdy rock and steady influence in that school. An ex-staff used to say that Silvan was like the bridge in that school. Now it's already cracking. Without him, the school might just collapse. It was the end of a 38 year career in that school. He started at the age of 20 and retired at the age of 58. He looked as fit as a fiddle and belied his age. His hobby is jogging. He took care of his health well.

How can I count how much I am indebted to this Indian man whom I had known for 20 years? He was always an obliging man. All I needed was to ask and he would go out of his way to make my life a little easier in that school. I needed LCD set up in the Perdana room. All I had to do was told him the time. It would be taken cared of. My tap in the exam room was not functioning. He'd made sure it was taken cared of by calling a plumber. The air-cond wasn't working. He called the technician. I wanted to apply for a transfer. He used his influence and long standing friendship with one of the officers in the PPD to set up an appoinment for me. He even went to the extent of attending the appointment with me to give me support. Tell me...who would do that for me? :-) I needed a plumber for my house in Kuala Kedah. He gave me a number to contact. I was away for a 3 months course. He made sure my mails were rerouted or called me up to inform me about letters that needed immediate attention. He might be just an office staff but to me, he is my friend. I can tell him anything about my school life and trust him not to spread it around. My housing loan, my kontrak latihan chop, photostat materials....it's endless. Little things speak volumes.

So, what did I finally get him in appreciation? I bought him a beautiful, made of wood table clock. Simple, understated elegance. Rm100 after asking for a discount because Akmal knows the son. Divide the price with 20 years. It'll never repay the cost of his friendship. Thank you, Silvan, for everything. May your retirement life be filled with life's blessings.

I thank you ... for all the goodness, kindness and thoughtfulness that our 20 years of friendship brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment