Saturday 18 May 2013

Teacher's Day - 16th May 2013

It's Teacher's Day. Full of controversy and dissatisfaction. Yet, the teachers came with new clothes, wide smiles and calling out greetings to colleagues while thanking students who wished them along the corridors. At 8:00am, we adjourned to the school hall and had an assembly. The Principal read out a "perutusan" from the Education Department, we stood to attention to the songs "Pendidikan Transformasi Negara" and this year's theme song "1Aspirasi 1Agenda" being played. Then, the teachers sang the all-time favourite, classic "Kami Guru Malaysia". After that, the prefects went round to hand out gifts that they had bought through collection from the students. Thus, the assembly was dismissed and the teachers trooped back to the staff room or their official rooms.

Usually we had pot luck breakfast or lunch by the staff club and school. This year there was none. So, most of us convened to the school cafeteria to replenish themselves. Games were on the next agenda. Since the decision to go ahead with the celebration was only made yesterday, hence everything was hastily put up. So, there were last year's indoor games and futsal with the students. The teachers who did not take part were in the staff room or wherever doing their own work or just catching up with colleagues. I decided to call up my class students and went up to have our own birthday/teacher's day celebration.

The students were looking forward to this function. I had ordered rice for them and bought the birthday cake for the 8 students celebrating their birthdays in April and May. It was relaxing, fun and most of the students including the "geek" of the class, let themselves go. They took a lot of photos and the best part was watching them close racial ranks. They accepted each other based on the fact that they were classmates. The Malay boys, who were usually shy and reticent, took photographs willingly with the Chinese girls. There were a lot of teasing and posing for photographs. I hoped if through this class party, I could instill the spirit of unity, friendship and acceptance that they were, after all, Malaysians, then, whatever actions the school would take against me, I would be more than happy to accept. Only 2 classes defied the orders not to have a class party. Mine and another Form 2 class.

The birthday cake - Chocolate walnut cake

The simple main course - nasi hujan panas, chicken sambal and acar


A relaxing atmosphere ... with most of the food gone int happy stomachs ....
I received the usual presents from students who thought you were special enough for them to show appreciation. The most memorable incident today was when a young Form 1 girl came looking for me in the exam room. She had been looking for me the whole morning. She gave me a present which she said was from her mother. I was puzzled and asked her who her mother was. When she mentioned a name, I was very sorry that I honestly could not recall her. She must be in her late 30's or early 40's since I started teaching here with the Form Fives and Sixes. I could only thank her and send my regards to her mother. I was touched, humbled and grateful for her thoughts of me as her teacher. That once upon a time, I was a part of her life. A teacher never really knows where her influence stops.... It also made me realised my age ... and the length of years I had been in this school ...  ;-}

The day culminated with a show from students and teachers. One of the teachers went up to perform a song or two. It was nostalgic since she used to perform every year on Teacher's day. WHen she sat down next to me, we recalled those easygoing, relaxing years where studying and teaching were not the main priority of schooling. That there were other activities that were educational instead of just classroom oriented. Well, times changed. System changed. Thus, we, too have to change to keep up with the new agenda and transformation. At the end of the show, they announced the best decorated class of the month and it went to my class!!!  :-)D))

Well, teacher's day has come and gone. Another to add to the memory and remembrance of good times. Everything happens for a reason. For what it is worth, life goes on. Work goes on. But the impact and what is imprinted in the hearts and minds of the students leave a lasting impression. I hope, in my own insignificant way, I have touched their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment