Sunday 19 May 2013

ULKCP Briefing 2013

Due to the new education policy (I'm not sure if it is only in Kedah or other states as well) of MMI (Memartabatkan Masa Instruktional - i.e teaching hours) all meetings, briefings, courses should be held during the weekends.  ;-(  and all meetings were held after school hours. This was taxing and tiring that most of the time, our brains and bodies were just not functioning. Thus, the ULKCP (SPM English oral for private candidates) briefing was held on a weekend. This year we were called up to Tasoh Lake  Resort in Perlis.

If you were not careful, you would miss the turning ..
  As usual, the question of how to get there and with whom. I checked out the list of names (105 names in all) and saw Melody's name. I called her and arranged to go with her. I checked out the internet and could not get directions to this place. Both of us were hopeless. Syafiq decided to "lend" me his smart phone. He set the GPS to the resort. He remembered to set it for home too. :-DD)  He taught me how to use the phone (Samsung S2) to navigate. Okay, I completed the tuition. :-)  I think it would be quite alright. Thus, Friday morning was bright and sunny as usual in Alor Setar. We had arranged earlier that I would be driving and Melody would navigate.

We could only plan. Little hiccups to test your patience. Firstly, when I was filling in petrol at the petrol station, I noticed a flat tyre at the driver's side. Hmm..this did not look good. I went to pump the tyre and it was down to only 58. When I reached Melody's pick-up point, she banged her finger against the door while closing it. I told her about the flat tyre and being hopeless ladies in distress and before anything happened where it would be beyond our control, we decided to take her car. So, we detoured to her house and changed car. I would navigate. Her finger hurt but she could still drive. Upon reaching Kangar, it started to rain. It rained all along the way to Tasoh resort. Thank you Allah and Syafiq, we found the place without any hitches. I trust the GPS !!! The road to the lake was the road towards Padang Besar and quite quiet. We congratulated ourselves and the GPS. Thus, Tasoh resort welcomed us in the rain.  ;-}}  

The calling said briefing would start at 2:30pm. When we checked-in, there was a notice that it would only start at 4:00pm. Lunch was not provided and I was hungry. There was a misunderstanding about our room. It seemed that either we misunderstood or the receptionist was tired, we went to the wrong room. We left our bags, took the keys and went out in search of food. There was no restaurant at the resort.   ;-((  We drove out and found a few shops along the way and had our late lunch there. The place overlooked Tasoh lake thus the view was amazing. We finally reached the hall for the briefing at 4:00pm and received complaints that we had taken up somebody's room. Little hiccups .... Melody was already fed-up with the respective teachers who were complaining loud enough for everyone to hear. So, I took a deep breath and told them that I would settle with the receptionist after the briefing. We were tired, it was raining and with all the little hiccups .... and we would have to bear their company until tomorrow. Well .... just take a deep breath, istighfar and concentrate on the meeting. After tea, which we decided to miss, Melody and I went to the room and took our bags. We noticed that they had already put their bags there. Melody was already grousing that it was only a room. I justified that they said they came earlier and had booked first. Fine, she said scathingly under her breath. I went to the lobby and returned the key. I asked for another room and she gave me a room higher up but with a more breathtaking view of the lake. Allah worked in mysterious ways.... at the end of the day, we could only be grateful that we did not get lost like so many of the others. We had a room with a better view. It's not like we had to walk up. We learned to be thankful for the little things that he made it easier for us.

After we had rested, we decided to walk down for the night briefing. It was still drizzling. We walked in the silent night filled with the sounds of crickets and other nocturnal insects. It was a long time since I had this night walk. It was quite safe in the resort. The air was refreshing and revitalized us after a trying day. We walked in companiable silence while appreciating nature. The 15 minute walk made us feel better and we entered the hall for dinner and continued the briefing in better spirits. We skipped supper and decided for an early night. There was no wi-fi service and we did not take along our broadbands. Thus, with nothing interesting on TV, we talked the night away until we finally went to sleep.

We got ready early so that we could take a morning stroll around the resort. It was chilly and refreshing after the rain the night before. We had a misty view of the hills across the lake from our chalet. We walked towards the lake and the cabins by the lake. A teacher was doing her tai-chi in one of the cabins. Some of the others also joined in and after we had completed the resort, which was quite hilly, we adjourned to the hall for breakfast and final briefing. After lunch, we checked out and decided to venture to Padang Besar to buy chocolates at the duty free shop.

The journey home to Alor Setar was easier as the weather was kind to us and we could see the sign boards which showed us the way. By the time I took my car from Melody's house (the tyre was still intact), I finally reached home almost 4:00pm. All I needed was some sleep. After a bath and unpacking the dirty clothes, I was ready for a shut eye when my phone rang. It was from Sofiah who asked me to join in the "majlis bacaan yaasin" tonight after maghrib for her mother who was warded in ICU. InsyAllah, was my reply. Thus, the night was culminated with doing a good deed for a friend and neighbour. Well, a small act of gratitude for all the big things that Allah had granted upon me -  a smooth journey to Tasoh Lake albeit in the rain, a tolerant attitude towards a misunderstanding about the rooms, a smooth briefing, a happy gathering of old friends and the opportunity to buy some chocolates for friends and family. Alhamdulillah. MasyAllah. SubhanAllah.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment