Wednesday 15 May 2013

Pre- Teacher's Day Reflection

Happy Teacher's Day. As a friend commented - it was a day that students really looked forward to. Firstly, there would be no lessons that day. Then, of course the games where teachers vs students with the teachers cheating and threatening the students with low marks or punishment.   :-)) After that came the class party. Finally, it ended with a talentime show of teachers and students showing off their hidden talents. Yes, I agreed. Nostalgia. That was then. This is now.  :-}

Over the years, Teacher's Day celebrations had mellowed down and slowly trickled off to just a day that was celebrated as a necessity. It always fell on exam week. There was no mood among the students and most teachers would rather have that day to finish off marking their papers. It was just liked "Let's get it over and done with". It had lost its meaning. Students did not have high regard for their teachers anymore. Over the years, teachers were only treated as the people who would teach them and help them to get through the exams. I guess the teachers' attitude were partly to be blamed. Nobody bothered to instill the awareness, the importance and the relevance of having these teachers as part of their young, impressionable lives. Personally, I would prefer to be in the exam room and get my work for the day done. Yet, if called upon to join in the games, I usually do with high spirits and participation. I drew the line at talentime show.  After going off to further my studies and being a non-form teacher for almost 10 years due to other tasks, had left Teacher's Day redundant to me.

This year, though, I am a form teacher again. I had the best class of this level. Well, the best in our school. I wanted them to feel and enjoy the Teacher's Day celebration. I joined in their planning and we would be having a double celebration i.e the birthdays of those born in April and May for the class.We could only plan.  ;-}{}  

A memo was received from the Education District Office early this week that there would be no celebration of Teacher's Day. Schools would only be given 2 hours for a formal assembly and reading all the "perutusan". Then, it would be teaching and studying as usual. WHHAAAATTTT??????? All of us gave up with the new policy. As if a day without teaching and learning would put these students in detrimental ignorance!!!! We decided not to celebrate at all. The administrators were also aware of our dissatisfaction and grouses. I was asked to adjust the exam time-table so that the last day could be set aside for the celebration later. I refused. It took me almost 2 weeks of adjustment to fit in the 11 elective subjects so that they did not clash with each other. I had to do 2 drafts before I finalised everything with the subject teachers so that their subjects were catered to. I had left 16th May free. The PK concurred.  The administrators had a meeting to decide as the PPD said they would come to check on schools to see if they adhered to the memo. Finally, this morning a tentative schedule for Teachers' Day celebration was proposed. No studying on that day. No exams on that day. Nor would there be any class party or staff room party. It would be a day of assembly, singing all the required songs, some games and a show put up by students who only knew about it today.

Now you know why teachers are so stressed out with new policies, new syllabus, new system which the policy makers only know how to conjure up but we are the ones who have to implement them WITH tons of paper work, filing, on-line keying  marks and data ...that we are so confused with all the different passwords to remember for APDM, SAPS, PBS, TARANTULA, E-KEHADIRAN, etc...etc...etc... The PBS filing alone was enough to drive your blood pressure up!  :-D))  

I don't care with whatever their policy is. I told my students we would adhere to the guidelines but rules are meant to be manipulated. Not broken, I emphasised, but manipulated.  ;-))  We would go ahead as planned but a little modified. During the break for recess, i.e. before the show, we would convene to class and have the birthday celebration. Gifts they have prepared for the teachers would be delivered to their respective tables. I had ordered packets of rice this time around. So, the students would distribute the food to their teachers' respective tables too. No invitation for the teachers but they would still get into the spirit of celebration.  :-)  Honestly, if any actions are to be taken up against me, I will not mind. They can always transfer me out. I will certainly welcome that !!!!  :-DDD 

Thus, we will wait for tomorrow and what it may bring. With Allah's grace and compassion, I hope and pray that everything goes well. For the students. For a day of appreciation and fun. For a day they will remember as the BEST Teachers' Day celebration they ever have. A birthday celebration most of them never have. Whatever happens tomorrow, I have done my best for these children. Maybe to those in urban areas, it is nothing. To these kids, it is everything. With whatever little resources they have (with a little subsidy from the Form teacher) they make do. They learn the act of giving, sharing, caring and appreciation for their teachers and classmates with enthusiasm.

Hence, with much appreciation and gratitude, for who I am today, I salute and thank teachers of past, present and future.


No comments:

Post a Comment